I’ve been cleaning up my office in preparation for the shiny new year, and I discovered something that has been tucked away on a shelf for quite some time. A couple years ago I bought a 5 year gratitude journal, and was dutifully filling it out each night before bed. But stuff happened (no idea what, it takes like 30 seconds to do each night) and I stopped. But I’m digging it back out again and getting back into the habit, because I find there are a few really great side effects of this practice.
- It makes me reflect on the day and pull out a good moment.
- I fall asleep thinking of something good.
- It preserves a nice memory that I can look back on later in life and gives me a snapshot of where I was at.
- I feel better about myself, and my life, and well – everything.
- You don’t need a 5th reason as #4 about sums it all up.
Not convinced? It’s time to see for yourself. I challenge you to try it every night for a week. Right before you go to bed, write down in a journal, or on a paper or on Facebook or wherever at least one thing that you are grateful for that day. 7 days, people. You can do this. And then pay attention….
Do you feel it?